- Supports the promotion of sustainable patterns of consumption and production, thus strengthening Switzerland’s position in the growing global cleantech market;
- Works closely with companies and associations and supports voluntary measures, particularly for the conservation of renewable raw materials and peat, a circular economy and avoiding food waste;
- Promotes environmentally responsible and resource- efficient public procurement with the special service for ecological public procurement. It advises the central procurement offices, issues recommendations and helps organise training;
- Supports other departments of the Federal Administration on matters relating to life-cycle assessments (LCA) with the Centre of Excellence for LCAs of the Federal Administration. It ensures that the LCAs and assessment methodologies relevant to Switzerland are periodically updated and further developed and that they meet the high requirements in terms of transparency and quality;
- Works to improve ecological market transparency through information and awareness-raising, the support of corresponding projects and international cooperation;
- Monitors compliance with the ecological requirements for biogenic and synthetic fuels in the context of the mineral oil tax legislation.