- is responsible for the continuing development and implementation of the Environmental Research Plan and for planning in the area of research;
- deals with the strategic, operational and administrative work of the Advisory Commission on Environmental Research;
- plans the federal office's research contracts and contributions, allots funding and coordinates the work of the ARAMIS research information system;
- deals with support for environmental technologies according to the Environmental Protection Act by allotting federal contributions intended for this purpose;
- collaborates closely with private firms working in the area of the environment and with institutions for applied research;
- follows innovation and long-term developments in the area of environmental technology at the international level.