- is the specialised agency for issues concerning integrated risk management
- develops strategies for comprehensive risk management based on comparable security standards throughout Switzerland;
- advises and supports officials and expert committees in the area of risk management;
- is responsible for hazard data and documentation (hazard maps, hazard register, data modelling, surveying the watercourses of national importance);
- develops guidelines for the assessment of hazards during activities with a spatial impact and for quality assurance in the area of hazard assessment;
- carries out event analyses in collaboration with specialised agencies;
- develops frameworks for emergency plans and crisis management as part of integrated risk management and supports basic and advanced training in this field;
- ensures interdepartmental cooperation in the event of an emergency and is responsible for the FOEN's internal crisis organisation.