- provides specialist support to the cantons and federal authorities in implementing the law;
- coordinates and supports the activities of the FOEN's specialist sections in implementing the law;
- carries out cross-departmental measures to encourage implementation of the law;
- investigates the causes of weaknesses in implementation, introduces improvement measures and studies their impact;
- coordinates the provision of specialist reports by the FOEN in proceedings of first instance conducted by other federal authorities, planning proceedings and hearings in cantonal proceedings.