The first of package of measures under the Energy Strategy 2050 was adopted by referendum on 21 May 2017. Thus, a partial revision of the CO2 Act will also come into force on 1 January 2018 concerning the exemption of combined heat and power plants (CHP plants) from the CO2 levy.
Operators of fossil fuel-based CHP plants may now be exempted from the CO2 levy for fossil combustible fuels that they use for electricity production. This rule will apply to plants with a rated thermal input of 0.5 to 20 MW, whereby the upper limit is determined by required participation in the emissions trading scheme (ETS). A plant corresponds to a site. As a rule, it is a district heating station in which one or more CHP units are found. The minimum rated thermal input of 0.5 MW also applies to a plant that consists of several units.
CO2 levy refund
Companies that operate CHP plants can be refunded the CO2 levy on fossil combustible fuels that were used for electricity production. The CO2 levy must be paid for the proportion of fossil combustible fuels used to produce heat.
Companies may keep only 40 percent of the refunded amount if they invest this amount in effective measures to increase energy efficiency. There are no further conditions to meet for the remaining 60 percent of the refund.
Companies that operate CHP plants must apply annually to the FOEN for the refund by 30 June of the following year. The refund is paid retroactively for 12 month.