In accordance with the sustainability strategy of DETEC, the FOEN pursues the following goals:
- long-term preservation and sustainable use of natural resources (land, water, forests, air, climate, biological and landscape diversity) and elimination of existing damage;
- protection of the public against excessive pollution (noise, harmful organisms and substances, non-ionizing radiation, wastes, contaminated land and major incidents);
- protection of people and significant assets against hydrological and geological hazards (flooding, earthquakes, avalanches, landslides, erosion and rockfalls).
In order to achieve these goals, the FOEN has been assigned the following responsibilities:
- environmental monitoring, to provide a sound basis for the management of resources;
- preparation of decisions, to secure a comprehensive and coherent policy of sustainable management of natural resources and prevention of natural hazards;
- implementing the legal foundations, supporting enforcement partners and providing information on the state of the environment and on the appropriate use and protection of natural resources.