- develops scientific foundations for policymakers and addresses questions relating to the definition of national and international policy on air pollution control;
- is responsible for studying and assessing air pollution (exposure levels) and for managing the National Air Pollution Monitoring Network (NABEL);
- assesses the effects of air pollution on human health and the environment;
- is responsible for follow-up activities under the Federal Council's Air Pollution Control Strategy (LRK) and for dealing with cantonal submissions concerning planning for control measures;
- participates in working groups under the UN/ECE Convention on Long-Range Transboundary Air Pollution to develop Protocols on the reduction of air pollutants within a pan-European framework.