- is responsible at the federal level for the protection against non-ionising radiation (NIR) produced by fixed installations, such as mobile telephone base stations, radio transmitters, power transmission lines, railway power supply facilities, radars, etc.;
- follows the scientific work on the effects of NIR on the environment and human health and periodically assesses the health risks associated with NIR;
- supports the enforcement activities of the federal and cantonal authorities and provides appropriate aids to promote efficient and consistent enforcement;
- is responsible for studying and assessing environmental exposure to NIR (immissions);
- provides scientific and technical foundations for policymakers so as to promote the development of protection against NIR.