- deals with the protection of the soil against pollutants and physical and biological damage such as erosion and compacting;
- surveys the status of the soil through the "National Soil Monitoring Network" (NABO);
- assists the cantons in the implementation of the Soil Pollution Ordinance;
- informs the public and the people who make use of the soil about the requirements of soil protection
- is responsible for the environmentally sound use of fertilisers and pesticides and for the reduction of the chemical pollution of the soil;
- defends the needs of soil protection in agricultural policy and spatial planning.