Request partially authorised 29.04.2016.
B/CH/15/01 (B15001): Application to release a genetically modified apple tree with improved fire blight resistance for experimental purposes
The current status of the application can be seen at www.protectedsite.ch under "News".
Publication in the Federal Law Gazette (BBl):
Bundesblatt: Gesuch um Bewilligung eines Freisetzungsversuchs mit gentechnisch veränderten Apfelbäumen
Applicant: Agroscope, Institute for Plant Production Sciences IPS and Institute for Sustainability Sciences ISS
Property: Resistance to fire blight
- Fire blight resistance gene
- Promoter: native promotor from the FB_MR5 gene;
- Fire blight resistance gene FB_MR5 from wild apple Malus x robusta 5;
- Terminator: native terminator from the FB_MR5 gene.
- Marker gene
The target gene (FB_MR5) was cloned into a „disarmed" T-DNA of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. The transfer of the T-DNA into the apple genotype ‘Gala Galaxy' was mediated by agrobacteria using a binary vector system. The marker genes were removed upon activation of a recombinase from the transgenic intermediate product.
Purpose of experiment:
- Verification under orchard condition if morphologic, physiologic and genetic differences are present between the cisgenic line and its wild type (‘Gala Galaxy');
- Clarification of biosafety aspects.
Location of experiment:
- Protected site of Agroscope at the site of Zurich, Reckenholz, Reckenholzstrasse 191, 8046 Zurich
Duration of experiment: Spring 2016 to end of 2021
- Gene Technology Act (GTA)
- Release Ordinance (RO)
Last modification 28.02.2023