Receipt of application published on 15 March 2023
B23001 Application for authorisation to carry out an experimental release of the parasitic wasp G1 Ganaspis cf. brasiliensis
Publication in the Federal Law Gazette (BBI):
Applicant: Federal Office for Agriculture, Agroscope
Description and origin of the organisms:
- G1 Ganaspis cf. brasiliensis is a parasitoid wasp native to Asia to be used for biological control of the invasive alien spotted wing drosophila (Drosophila suzukii);
- The G1 Ganaspis cf. brasiliensis intended for use in the experiment were bred in the laboratory from individuals collected in Japan in 2015. Additional collections in Japan are planned for 2023.
Content and purpose of experiment:
- The purpose of the experiment is to develop strategies for the release of G1 Ganaspis cf. brasiliensis in order to increase their efficacy and likelihood of establishment;
- The experiment include releases of G1 Ganaspis cf. brasiliensis at four sites in each of two different climatic regions (Jura, Ticino);
- In the experiment, different quantities of individuals, both from laboratory breeding and field collections in Japan, are released and studies on overwintering and establishment of the organisms are carried out.
- As a consequence of the experiment, G1 Ganaspis cf. brasiliensis could become locally established.
Location of experiment:
Delémont (JU), Courtételle (JU), Fontenais (JU), Courgenay (JU), Tresa (TI), Novazzano (TI), Bellinzona (TI), Giornico (TI)
Duration of experiment: April 2023 to December 2022
- The procedure is based on Articles 17 et seq. and 21 et seq. of the Ordinance on the Handling of Organisms in the Environment (Release Ordinance, RO) of 10 September 2008 (SR 814.911).
Last modification 27.06.2023