Receipt of application published on 25 February 2020
B20001 Application to release alien brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys) for experimental purposes
Publication in the Federal Law Gazette (BBI):
Bundesblatt: Gesuch um Bewilligung eines Freisetzungsversuchs mit der gebietsfremden marmorierten Baumwanze (Halyomorpha halys)
Applicant: CABI Delémont
Description and origin of organism:
- Originating from Asia, the brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys) is a pest of fruits and vegetables;
- The brown marmorated stink bugs to be used in the experiment are propagated in the laboratory from individuals collected in the different locations of the experiment in Switzerland.
Content and purpose of experiment:
- Eggs of the brown marmorated stink bug will be glued onto plastic labels and placed at different locations;
- The aim of this experiment is to examine the distribution of the samurai wasp (Trissolcus japonicus) in Switzerland. The samurai wasp is a natural antagonist, which parasitizes eggs of the brown marmorated stink bug. Likewise, the samurai wasp originates from Asia, but since a few years it is spreading in Switzerland;
- The plastic labels with eggs will be collected again before hatching of the nymphs to be analyzed in the laboratory;
- This experiment contributes to the risk evaluation of the potential use of the samurai wasp for the biological control of the brown marmorated stink bug.
Location of experiment:
Baden (AG), Basel (BS), Bern (BE), Biel (BE), Manno (TI), Zürich (ZH)
Duration of experiment: Spring to autumn 2020 and 2021, exact start of experiment depending on spring temperatures.
- Licensing procedure:
The procedure is based on Articles 17 et seq. and 21 et seq. of the Ordinance on the Handling of Organisms in the Environment (Release Ordinance, RO) of 10 September 2008 (SR 814.911).
Last modification 05.06.2020