- manages Swiss climate policy;
- is responsible for the implementation of the Kyoto Protocol in Switzerland;
- is responsible for the implementation of national legislation on climate protection (CO2 Act) and manages political climate instruments;
- develops strategies for emissions reduction and adaptation to climate change;
- reviews performance of climate policy (greenhouse gas inventory, CO2 statistics);
- informs and advises policy makers and the public on the causes and effects of climate change and possible counter-measures.
The division is responsible for the topics: